Monday 11 April 2011

This wonderful age.

Last night I watched three programmes about the space shuttle and the emergence of rockets. Plus a look into the life of a Russian who was predicting all this before man had even taken to the skies. Also a documentary about the Cassini  Project, a satellite that took a landing vehicle to Saturn's moon, Titan. After seven years travelling it arrived and fulfilled it's mission, sending information back to Earth, from billions of miles away.

   It took me back to my school days. I vividly remember a man in a estate car at the school gates giving out copies of the first EAGLE comic. It had stories about a fictional space traveller,Dan Dare, who went to different planets. It also showed people talking on phones without a wire connection, huge strange vehicles that carried large metal containers from ships to road vehicles. This was about 1949 and all us boys said " this will never happen" We  were lucky to have radiograms with record players then and  Television was by no means common. Even food rationing was still in place from the war years.
.
   About twelve years later the Russians sent a man into space.

   By the seventies, mobile phones, although very large were fairly common, and I was carrying containers on my truck all over the place, and we all know how far technology has got since then. I for one would not contemplate predicting what we will be doing or where we will be going in the next sixty years.

   I feel that I have been privileged to live in such a exciting and wonderful age.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment