Friday 15 April 2011

A tribute to Ziggy

Ziggy



Wonder what he's thinking at this moment? He looks so serene, is he miles away or years, looking forwards or remembering? I know he does have memories because he remembers more of my words than I do of his, and understands what they mean. He is my partner, my loyal friend, my best buddy and I love him dearly.

   Eight years ago I came alone to the Isle of Lewis. A couple of months later was offered a council house and went to view it. As I went back to the car I turned and looked again and saw a dog in the garden. It was throwing a fluffy toy into the air, two or three feet high. Suddenly I realised the `toy` was a cat. Not screaming but just going up and down. I went to the house they lived in, next to the one I was going to have and asked the lady if she knew what the dog was doing. She said they were just playing as they lived together.

   Ziggy was just nine months old then and I realised he was rather special and told friends that somehow I would adopt him as the lady did not walk out with him. A couple of months later I was lucky enough to be looking out the window when the SSPCA came to take the pets from next door. Ziggy was being taken on a lead and when I rushed out to ask where he was going the man said," He is being `put down` within the hour". I said I would take him, but was told I would have to get council permission first. The housing manageress, Edna Morrison was stood next to me so I just turned to her, raised an eyebrow and she said," I think you already have it Roy". Edna, I give thanks every day for that and I wonder if you know that you actually saved TWO lives with those words? I of course, would not have died like Ziggy, but something inside would have.

   In last eight years Ziggy has brought happiness to lots of people wherever we go. Some of the comments have been,--From the SSPCA" one of our successes", the Vets, " Thank goodness you took him, we would have had a terrible time injecting him",  from a friend," you could not have got a better dog if you had ordered it", and one tourist put him on the internet as," The happiest chappy on the Island"


.   
Here he is at one of our favourite spots high above the sea on one of our daily walks. Yes he does have four legs, just that the heather is very thick.


   I think some people are tired of me extolling his virtues,----- but he really is that good to me. I have lost count of the people who have said they want one like him. Even some who have never had a dog, but I don't think they will get one.


   Our relationship has developed over years of living just for each other and I hope we enjoy many more, because I don't want to think of a life without him.


   As I said earlier, " he is my partner, my loyal friend, my best buddy, and I love him dearly".
   

    


5 comments:

  1. Wonderful story/anecdote. I know just how you feel. With me, however, it's mt cat, Charlie. Originally a Swedish feral kitten, he was incredibly difficult to tame. At about 6 months old he was badly savaged by three hunting dogs - almost literally torn to pieces. Somehow he survived, after I managed to rescue him from their attack. And we seem to have an extraordinary bond. I adore him and love him to bits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pets are very much members of the family, and have definite characters - irrespective of species.

    Guido

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovin your writing. When the next post??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog and your dog is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a 'Ziggy' who's name is Griffin. I sometimes find him just staring at me and I wonder what he thinks? Does he know how much I love him? I think so! I will be the last face he sees when the end comes. For now though, he is my champion! Lovely story you posted. Lucky for both of you to have adopted each other.

    ReplyDelete